At this tender teenaged age if your loved one develops the habit of smoking cigarettes , smoking shisha or for that matter consume tobacco in any form then it is very difficult for the parent to see the health and concentration of their child being affected adversely.
It is very challenging for anyone to quit this habit easily, it requires a lot of self determination and emotional support from near and dear ones to first realize the ill effects and then take a decision to give it up totally. The effort to give up smoking may be taken many times by your child and he/she may fail at it also many times but the continuous efforts from your side as a caring parent will go a long way.
Taking care of the diet is the first and foremost thing that can the parent can attend to, as the person will require a lot of wholesome nutrition to negate the ill effects of nicotine on the child’s growth and health. As these years are formative from the health and growth perspective. Moreover, these are the formative years for getting a good education too, hence the concentration levels also need to remain high which usually get affected due to nicotine consumption.
Some Diet Tips Which Can Be Followed Easily and Can Have A Positive Effect.
1. Have an alkaline diet which include a variety of vegetables during lunch and dinner . Some vegetables like spinach, broccoli , potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans , cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, lettuce and sprouts are all very helpful.
2. Fruits eaten raw or given in the form of juice or milk shakes are also very helpful. Especially fruits rich in vitaman C which gets reduced due to the consumption of nicotine . Hence oranges, sweet limes, lemons, pomegranates and other natural forms of vitamin C are very essential.
3. Some other alkaline fruits which have a positive effect are bananas, watermelons, musk melons, apples, pineapples, dates, figs and raisins.
4. Milk can be given in the form of banana shakes, strawberry shakes with fresh fruit added and blended with milk instead of the readymade crushes available in the market.
5. Dairy products like paneer (Cottage Cheese) are also all very good. Again this can be made at home easily instead of buying it ready from the market which may have additional preservatives. (Recipe to make home made paneer written below)
6. The intake of a lot of liquids is a must to flush out the nicotine from the body. Hence, coconut water, fresh lime juice with honey and water, green tea, wheat grass juice can be given at regular intervals.
7. Encourage the child for some outdoor sport of his choice which will take care of the regular physical and mental exercise needed.
These are just some of the tips which can be followed easily at home and should be taken care of on a daily basis as the teenage years are the formative years which lay the foundation for a healthy life in future. Of course , there will be many other emotional and psychological factors which will have to be catered to but this will supplement the nutrition of the child ensuring that his physical growth does not get adversely affected.
Recipe for home made paneer:
- Take 1 litre of whole milk . Boil it.
- Add the juice of one full lemon and 2 tablespoons of curds.
- The lemon will curdle the milk and the curds will add the sponginess to the cottage cheese.
- After the milk gets curdled and the protein starts getting separated stir it for a while and boil it for another 5 mins.
- When the protein starts separating the water remaining will be light green in color. If it is not light green then that means there is still some more protein left , keep stirring or add some more lime juice if needed.
- Then strain the mixture through a muslin cloth when it cools down for about 10 minutes and collect the whey protein and place a heavy plank or some flat weight on top of the whey collected in the cloth and place it flattening it and keep it on a slight slant so the excess water gets drained out.
- The paneer will be ready in about 15 mins.
Or View the video below for instructions: